Thursday, January 31 – Grade 8 Grad Photos (beginning at 8:30 am)
Friday, February 1 – PA Day – no school for students
Please see attached a letter from the director re: possible winter weather school closures. Translated messages are also attached.
- Although we try to keep our schools open as much as possible, there may be rare situations during unprecedented winter weather events or emergency situations when we will have to close schools and Board locations for safety reasons.
- Decisions related to bus cancellations or school closures will be
made and communicated no later than 6:00 a.m.
- Student Transportation Services website: www.schoolbuscity.com
- Student Transportation Hotline: 1-877-330-3001
- Board website and school websites
- @YRDSB Twitter account
- Radio and TV media outlets
- While these situations are rare, families should ensure they have alternate arrangements planned ahead of time for the care of their children.
Thursday, January 31 – Grade 8 Grad Photos (morning)
Friday, February 1 – PA Day (no school for students)
Monday, February 4 – School Council Meeting (7:00pm Library)
Monday, February 18 – Family Day (no school)
A friendly reminder that Friday January 18th is a PA Day. There is NO SCHOOL for students.
Registration for the 2019-2020 school year begins on Friday January 18, 2019. The main office will be open from 8am-4pm to take registrations for new students to Rosedale Heights.
For Year 1 Kindergarten – students must be born in 2015.
Please bring your child’s birth certificate OR passport along with TWO pieces of ID which show your name and address (i.e. lease/purchase agreement, tax bill, utility bill, driver’s license, etc.)
Please note: students currently enrolled at Rosedale Heights DO NOT need to register for next year. They are automatically moved to the next grade.
Contact our office if you have any questions.
Members of the City of Vaughan Police and Fire will be at dismissal this afternoon as part of their community outreach and involvement program.
It serves to reinforce municipal by-laws and promote community safety.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Happy 2019! I hope your holiday season was festive, and your vacation restful. I like to welcome this season with renewed enthusiasm, seeing it as a time for reflection at the year ahead, building upon our accomplishments of the past.
I am honoured to not only serve as your trustee, but also as Budget Chair, where I will work tirelessly to ensure that resources are directed to areas that best serve students and the continual improvement of public education. We have exciting initiatives in the works. The new Board of Trustees is filled with a varied set of skills and experience, driven to bring forward innovative ideas to York Region District School Board.
Schools are our children’s home away from home; in recent months I’ve had the opportunity to visit our schools, and see the wonderful work being done by our teachers and staff members. I’ve spoken with parents and teachers about ways we can collectively improve educational outcomes and support the priorities in the Trustees’ Multi-Year Strategic Plan:
- Foster well-being and mental health
- Build collaborative relationships
- Champion equity and inclusivity
- Empower ethical leadership
In the upcoming months, I will continue to engage with principals, school councils, parents and students about our journey ahead. Each and every individual’s insights are invaluable to strengthening our education system, and I look forward to achieving our goals together.
I’m always happy to hear your thoughts – and you can join the conversation on Twitter @david4thornhill.
David Sherman — Trustee, Markham Ward 1 – Vaughan Ward 5
Three Friendly Reminders from the Main Office:
- Tomorrow evening, January 10, 2019, at 7:00 p.m. we will have Ms. Sheri Epstein visiting us in the library to meet with grade 7 and 8 parents. Ms. Epstein is the principal of Westmount Collegiate Institute and she will be presenting on topics such as applied courses vs academic courses, and “parenting a high school child”. All grade 7 and 8 students were given information letters on Monday and we hope to see many parents/guardians at this event.
- Friday, January 18, 2019 is a Professional Activity Day. There is no school for students on that day as staff will be engaged in activities around assessment, reporting, and Term 1 Report Cards.
- Term One Report Cards go home with all students on Thursday, February 14, 2019.
On Thursday, January 10th, 2019 Ms. Sheri Epstein, Principal of Westmount Collegiate Institute, will be visiting Rosedale Heights Public School from 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm in our school library. The purpose of her visit is to meet with parents/guardians of our current grade 7 and 8 students and to answer questions that parents/guardians may have about grade 9, and high school specifically.
Ms. Epstein has shared her presentation with us and the four main topics include:
- Applied vs. Academic courses
- Readiness for grade 9
- Clubs, teams and school life, and,
- Parenting a high school child.
As this is a presentation for parents, please note that children are not obligated to attend.
Below, please indicate if you will be in attendance and kindly return to your child’s homeroom teacher.
Vincent Anania Julia Waiser
Principal Vice Principal
I, ___________________________________ parent of ___________________________________
[ ] Yes, I will be in attendance.
[ ] Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend.