Curriculum Night – September 27th
Just a reminder that tomorrow night is curriculum night. We will be offering two identical presentations at 6:30pm and 7:10pm. They will run approximately 35 minutes in length. This is not an opportunity to speak to our staff regarding individual students or programs, but to give you an overview of the curriculum and plans for Terms 1 & 2.
Picture Day – September 28th
All students will be taking their class and individual photos on Friday, September 28th. For best results we recommend wearing bright, solid coloured clothing and a BIG SMILE :).
Student voice is important to us. From November 12 to 30, 2018, the York Region District School Board will invite all students to participate in the Every Student Counts Survey (ESCS).
The purpose of this census survey is to better understand YRDSB’s diverse student population as well as students’ experiences in school and outside of school. The survey results will be used to help improve our schools and to:
Identify and eliminate systemic barriers to student success;
Create more equitable and inclusive school environments; and,
Improve student achievement and well-being.
All students will be given the opportunity to participate. Accessibility options will be available for any student who needs assistance completing the survey.
For students in Kindergarten to Grade 6, the survey will be sent home to be completed with a parent/guardian.
Students in Grades 7-12 will be invited to complete the census at their school.
The Every Student Counts Survey (ESCS) is confidential but not anonymous. To ensure confidentiality, no directly identifying information (such as student name) will be on the survey. As one of the main purposes of the survey is to identify and eliminate systemic barriers to student success, all surveys will include a unique code that will be used to link the survey data with student achievement data. Survey results will only be reported in aggregate form (grouped data only) and no individual students will be identified. A summary of the results will be available at schools and on this webpage in Spring 2019.
CCI Research has been contracted to work with the Board to conduct the survey and to ensure data privacy, security and adherence to all relevant legislation. If you are a parent/guardian of a child(ren) in Grades 7-12 and do not want them to participate in the survey, you can withdraw your child from participating by contacting CCI Research at 1-866-450-4907 no later than October 9, 2018.
Additional Information: http://www.yrdsb.ca/Programs/equity/Pages/Every-Student-Counts-Survey.aspx
Hello and Happy Thursday!
Just a few important reminders as we prepare for the last week of September:
1. Tomorrow is our 2018 Terry Fox Run/Walk. We will be walking around the community from 10:45 – 11:45 a.m.
Our goal is to raise $2750.00. Classes are raising money in the hopes of winning a movie/popcorn party, extra recess, extra gym periods, a “no homework weekend” and a class pizza party. We hope that each class aims to raise $175.00 to help us reach our goal. Good luck.
2. There is no school for students on Monday, September 24, 2018. It is a PA Day where all staff are engaged in activities around school procedures, Health and Safety, and Compliance Training.
3. We have made a few class changes in our school which will go into effect on September 25. We have created a school organization that is in compliance with YRDSB and Ministry of Education directives. Our final organization is below and all classes impacted by changes are highlighted in blue font. We thank the parents and guardians for their support and patience as we worked through the various changes to our school organization.
Kindergarten Voronoff/Briskina Kindergarten Rosenblatt/Cheema Kindergarten Mail/Brunswick
Grade 1/2 Dishy Grade 1/2 Rein Grade 1/2 Nishio
Grade 3 Behar Grade 3/4 Potashner Grade 4 McInnis
Grade 5 Rembach
Grade 5/6 Rosenfeld
Grade 6 Walton
Grade 5-7 Miele/Loughrin
Grade 7 Spitzen/Borins
Grade 7/8 Agnew/Gill Grade 7/8 Alekasiri Grade 7/8 Shapero
4. Meet The Teacher Night (which includes an overview of the curriculum and various school policies) will be held on Thursday, September 27, 2018 from 6:30 – 7:45 p.m. Teachers will be making a presentation to parents at 6:30 p.m. and they will be repeating the presentation at 7:10 p.m. for any parents that were unable to attend the 6:30 p.m. presentation. This also helps families that would like to visit two separate classes on that evening. The presentation will cover topics such as: subjects and strands covered for Term 1 and 2 Reporting, Homework Policy, trips and money collection, lates and absences, and home-school communication. This will not be an opportunity to discuss individual students and student progress.
5. Friday, September 28, 2018 is SCHOOL PHOTO DAY. Photos begin with all kindergarten students at 8:45 a.m., and then our School Photographers will work through all grades. Our grade 7 and 8 students may be completed at 12:00 p.m. if time permits, otherwise they will be completed in the afternoon before 2:30 p.m.
Thank you for your trust and support.
~~~ Mr. Anania, Mrs. Waiser and the 2018-2019 ROCKETS STAFF~~~
Vincent Anania — Proud Principal of Rosedale Heights Public School
300 Rosedale Heights Drive, Thornhill, Ontario – L4J 6Y8 Phone: 905 – 882 – 1864
“The well being of children is inseparable from the well being of adults in their lives.” – Dr. Shanker
This communication is intended solely for the named addressee(s) and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, protected or otherwise exempt from disclosure. No waiver of confidence, privilege, protection or otherwise is made. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication, please advise me immediately and delete this email without reading, copying or forwarding it to anyone.
***Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.
A reminder that Monday, September 24 is a PA day. There is no school for students.
We are proud to once again be participating in the Terry Fox School Run. Over the past 16 years, Rosedale Heights Public School has raised $34,887.36 for cancer research in Terry’s name. Terry Fox set an example of courage and compassion as he ran across Canada to help those suffering from cancer. Now it’s our turn to make a difference. Simply click http://www.terryfox.ca/RosedaleHeightsPSThornhill to join our school community in the fight against cancer. The Terry Fox Foundation has a great reputation, with $ .82 of every dollar raised going directly to cancer research.
Just a reminder to please return the corrected and signed forms with your student’s information. They are due today to the homeroom teacher.
Please see the attached Parent Letter from Our YRDSB Director of Education
Don’t forget to sign up for the lunch time Drama Clubs with Robbie Frankel. We look forward to another year of drama fun and performing shows at the City Playhouse Theatre. Registration for the Drama Clubs is available through School Cash Online and is open to all students in grades 1 to 8.
We hope that you’ll join us!
Our school is proud to be participating in the Terry Fox School Run. Our schoolwide run will take place on Friday, September 21st. The entire school will be out for a run or walk from 10:45 – 11:45 a.m. this Friday. Parents and guardians can join us by signing in at the main office at 10:30 a.m.
Today your child will be bringing home their pledge sheets. All pledge sheets and donations must be in by Friday, October 5th. Last year our school raised $2,75.00. Our goal this year is $3500.00.
Please visit www/terryfox.org for some background on the man and his courage.
Here is the link to our school’s fundraising page http://www.terryfox.ca/RosedaleHeightsPSThornhill