School Bus Cancellation Notice
To ensure the safety of students, school bus service may be cancelled due to inclement weather, extreme temperatures and/or poor road conditions. In these cases, parents and students should develop alternate care/transportation arrangements.
Cancellation decisions will only be made after thorough consultation with the Safety Officers of school bus companies servicing York Region and are based on several factors including precipitation, air temperature, road conditions and weather forecast.
Please note the following:
- A decision to cancel school bus service will be region-wide meaning all school buses, vans and taxis will not operate.
- School bus routes may be cancelled when severe weather may not be affecting ll municipalities in York Region. Both the YRDSB and YCDSB operate many regional educational programs. Students attending these programs are transported over large attendance areas encompassing several municipal boundaries. This limits the ability to cancel bus service using a municipality or zone methodology.
- When bus service is cancelled all school tests and/or examinations will be cancelled and rescheduled.
- Student trips involving the use of school buses will also be cancelled.
- Unless otherwise stated, schools will remain open and parents can make arrangements to transport their children to and from school even if school bus service is cancelled. If buses are cancelled in the morning, they will not operate in the afternoon. Therefore students transported to school by parents will require the same transportation home.
Parents, students and school staff are asked to access the following radio and television stations after 6am to receive bus cancellation information:
590 AM 640AM 680AM 860AM 1010AM 1050AM 1540AM 1580AM 88.5FM 89.9FM 92.5FM 93.1FM 94.9FM 95.9FM 97.3FM 98.1FM 99.1FM 99.9FM 101.1FM 102.1FM 104.5FM 100.7FM 105.9FM 107.1FM
CITY TV CTV Barrie CTV Toronto CP24 GLOBAL NEWS
A bus cancellation message will also be available at www.schoolbuscity.com and by calling 1-877-330-3001, or by following @YRDSB and @YCDSB on twitter.