Please mark your calendars and make note of the following dates:
- October 22 – PA Day
- October 22 – Municipal Elections (Rosedale Heights being used as voting site)
- October 23 – Photo orders are due
- October 26 – Twin/Triplet Spirit Day
- October 31 – Halloween Parade & Dance-a-thon
- November 2 – Take Me Outside Day
- November 2 – Photo Retakes
The results from the 2017-2018 EQAO are being sent home today with current grade 4 and grade 7 students.
Student Transportation Services of York Region is responsible for ensuring all students receive transportation service in accordance with Board Policy.
STS constantly reviews school bus routes to ensure all are running as efficiently as possible.
Please be advised that the route number will change from 3151 to 3084
This will be effective: Friday October 5, 2018
All existing stops and times will remain the same but are approximate and can vary with weather and traffic conditions.
You may obtain current bus stop information, including locations and services times by using the STS website: www.schoolbuscity.com
Thank you in advance for your cooperation with this service revision and best wishes for a continued safe and successful school year.
Introducing Online Absence Reporting
Parents/guardians can now report student absences online.
Regular and punctual attendance affects school success and is expected of all students. It is important that students, families and school staff work together to ensure regular attendance. You are expected to notify the school as soon as possible if your child will be absent or late.
Reporting an absence online is now available through Edsby. If you have activated your Edsby account, you can login to Edsby and report your child’s absence online. You can access an online video tutorial to learn more (bit.ly/edsbyabsence) about how to do this.
If you have downloaded the Edsby App, the server address is yrdsb.edsby.com.
If you have not yet created an Edsby account, please check your email (and/or Junk) for the invitation we sent out last week.
Families can still continue to report absences by phone (905-882-1864).
The Junglesport program starts today and runs until next Friday (Oct 12.) All students will be participating. If you have yet to sign and return the permission form please do ASAP as your child will not be able to participate without guardian/parental consent. You can print off a copy below.
Curriculum Night – September 27th
Just a reminder that tomorrow night is curriculum night. We will be offering two identical presentations at 6:30pm and 7:10pm. They will run approximately 35 minutes in length. This is not an opportunity to speak to our staff regarding individual students or programs, but to give you an overview of the curriculum and plans for Terms 1 & 2.
Picture Day – September 28th
All students will be taking their class and individual photos on Friday, September 28th. For best results we recommend wearing bright, solid coloured clothing and a BIG SMILE :).
Student voice is important to us. From November 12 to 30, 2018, the York Region District School Board will invite all students to participate in the Every Student Counts Survey (ESCS).
The purpose of this census survey is to better understand YRDSB’s diverse student population as well as students’ experiences in school and outside of school. The survey results will be used to help improve our schools and to:
Identify and eliminate systemic barriers to student success;
Create more equitable and inclusive school environments; and,
Improve student achievement and well-being.
All students will be given the opportunity to participate. Accessibility options will be available for any student who needs assistance completing the survey.
For students in Kindergarten to Grade 6, the survey will be sent home to be completed with a parent/guardian.
Students in Grades 7-12 will be invited to complete the census at their school.
The Every Student Counts Survey (ESCS) is confidential but not anonymous. To ensure confidentiality, no directly identifying information (such as student name) will be on the survey. As one of the main purposes of the survey is to identify and eliminate systemic barriers to student success, all surveys will include a unique code that will be used to link the survey data with student achievement data. Survey results will only be reported in aggregate form (grouped data only) and no individual students will be identified. A summary of the results will be available at schools and on this webpage in Spring 2019.
CCI Research has been contracted to work with the Board to conduct the survey and to ensure data privacy, security and adherence to all relevant legislation. If you are a parent/guardian of a child(ren) in Grades 7-12 and do not want them to participate in the survey, you can withdraw your child from participating by contacting CCI Research at 1-866-450-4907 no later than October 9, 2018.
Additional Information: http://www.yrdsb.ca/Programs/equity/Pages/Every-Student-Counts-Survey.aspx
Hello and Happy Thursday!
Just a few important reminders as we prepare for the last week of September:
1. Tomorrow is our 2018 Terry Fox Run/Walk. We will be walking around the community from 10:45 – 11:45 a.m.
Our goal is to raise $2750.00. Classes are raising money in the hopes of winning a movie/popcorn party, extra recess, extra gym periods, a “no homework weekend” and a class pizza party. We hope that each class aims to raise $175.00 to help us reach our goal. Good luck.
2. There is no school for students on Monday, September 24, 2018. It is a PA Day where all staff are engaged in activities around school procedures, Health and Safety, and Compliance Training.
3. We have made a few class changes in our school which will go into effect on September 25. We have created a school organization that is in compliance with YRDSB and Ministry of Education directives. Our final organization is below and all classes impacted by changes are highlighted in blue font. We thank the parents and guardians for their support and patience as we worked through the various changes to our school organization.
Kindergarten Voronoff/Briskina Kindergarten Rosenblatt/Cheema Kindergarten Mail/Brunswick
Grade 1/2 Dishy Grade 1/2 Rein Grade 1/2 Nishio
Grade 3 Behar Grade 3/4 Potashner Grade 4 McInnis
Grade 5 Rembach
Grade 5/6 Rosenfeld
Grade 6 Walton
Grade 5-7 Miele/Loughrin
Grade 7 Spitzen/Borins
Grade 7/8 Agnew/Gill Grade 7/8 Alekasiri Grade 7/8 Shapero
4. Meet The Teacher Night (which includes an overview of the curriculum and various school policies) will be held on Thursday, September 27, 2018 from 6:30 – 7:45 p.m. Teachers will be making a presentation to parents at 6:30 p.m. and they will be repeating the presentation at 7:10 p.m. for any parents that were unable to attend the 6:30 p.m. presentation. This also helps families that would like to visit two separate classes on that evening. The presentation will cover topics such as: subjects and strands covered for Term 1 and 2 Reporting, Homework Policy, trips and money collection, lates and absences, and home-school communication. This will not be an opportunity to discuss individual students and student progress.
5. Friday, September 28, 2018 is SCHOOL PHOTO DAY. Photos begin with all kindergarten students at 8:45 a.m., and then our School Photographers will work through all grades. Our grade 7 and 8 students may be completed at 12:00 p.m. if time permits, otherwise they will be completed in the afternoon before 2:30 p.m.
Thank you for your trust and support.
~~~ Mr. Anania, Mrs. Waiser and the 2018-2019 ROCKETS STAFF~~~
Vincent Anania — Proud Principal of Rosedale Heights Public School
300 Rosedale Heights Drive, Thornhill, Ontario – L4J 6Y8 Phone: 905 – 882 – 1864
“The well being of children is inseparable from the well being of adults in their lives.” – Dr. Shanker
This communication is intended solely for the named addressee(s) and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, protected or otherwise exempt from disclosure. No waiver of confidence, privilege, protection or otherwise is made. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication, please advise me immediately and delete this email without reading, copying or forwarding it to anyone.
***Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.
A reminder that Monday, September 24 is a PA day. There is no school for students.